Mural by Andres Guzman. Photo by William Dunder.
We are filled with heartache as we look upon what has recently happened in our hometown and beyond. Neighborhoods can be rebuilt, but nothing will undo the murder of George Floyd, nor the persistent pain and the continual racial injustices that our friends, families, and neighbors have faced for centuries. As a community, we must lean into this moment and create meaningful change. Action moves better possibility into reality, and we will act.
From inception, Studio/E was intended to be a place for people of all races, sexual orientations, religions, professions, and politics; a place to meet as first names. And yet we recognize we have unconsciously not done enough in the face of injustice and we have to be better. We can best honor the Studio/E community and our vision by recognizing that our intention needs to be better realized and accelerated.
Toward this goal, we commit to:
- Strengthen our ongoing recruiting efforts of black, indigenous, people of color, and other historically underrepresented communities.
- Address possible economic barriers that may impact our intention with a permanent scholarship program.
- Include more stories and lessons from black, indigenous, people of color, and other historically underrepresented communities in our exploratory curricula.
- Implement accountable efforts around our hiring practices to proactively build a more diverse team.
- Invest in our team’s education and development by providing resources to further our understanding of the injustices and inclusion challenges in our community and beyond, while also fostering structured dialogues to help us progress and learn.
As stewards of this Exploratory Leadership community, we recognize our responsibility to become more actively inclusive, diverse, and anti-racist. We have much to learn as we work hard to have a productive role in the reshaping of our city, our nation, and our world. Studio/E is committed to the best of our abilities to that learning journey as we rise to this challenge. Our accelerated activity begins today, and this is where we will start.
The Studio/E Team